These icons aren't ads! These are easy ways to help people and animals around the world! I personally go to the Animal Rescue Site to click their button daily to donate. I'll play Free Rice whenever I can and make small donations to WFP whenever I am able to.
The Animal Rescue Site Fight World Hunger Help end child hunger

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Skin Bleaching

I've been doing research far and wide on Google about skin bleaching and came across so many blogs and articles asking if India's ads are racist.

K let me tell you this, I've seen their ads. I've seen the horrible view on skin bleaching.
BUT it's not racist.
There's a difference between racism and discrimination.
It's horrible how even the big wigs of news can get that wrong.

Racism - against other races/nationality.
Discrimination - against anything like sexuality, weight, hair color, eye color, etc.

Racism is toward a whole race that they hate. Discrimination is against something that isn't race related but related to other factors you might hate.

Now, I'm sure you guys have seen India's lightening ads?



No? Then watch here:

*You could also search up more or I'll try to remember to update this with more videos. :]


Now I don't think that skin bleaching is necessarily a bad thing. Side effects, yes. But products all have side effects. Tanning has side effects too. Skin bleaching may cause cancer? Yes, only some products. But so can tanning.
Beauty is within the eye of the beholder, right?

Well these commercials aren't really letting you think for yourselves.

They're telling you that you need to have lighter skin to get a job or a girlfriend/boyfriend.

That's just horrible.

If they just advertised the product, that's okay. But mixing it up with discrimination is just in bad taste.

A lot of Indian women and men now strive for lighter skin. Because they think it'll better lives, not just image. To get a better job and to someday, get married.
A lot of matrimony sites ask for skin tone color.

They aren't trying to lighten their skin to look like white people, same with America. We aren't tanning to look African. (Although, I don't tan.)

If they did, then yeah, hints of racism there but nope. We're still at discrimination.
I admit that when I take pictures, it looks like I'm lighter than normal. I'm not sure why but when I take pictures, sometimes the light is drawn into my skin.
And I'm willing to admit that at one time I thought that I should make my skin lighter but after a lot of thought, I thought that my tan skin is beautiful. Not just because it's acceptable in America but there's a lot of beneficial factors in it. I'm less prone to cancer, my pimples don't show up as huge and red or swollen, I don't blind people with my legs, etc.

I'm also willing to admit that I use products to eventone my skin and make it appear slightly brighter. Not lighter/whiter but brighter.

The difference between bright and lighter is that brighter skin is basically just glowing skin, healthy looking skin that looks radiant. Lighter skin is whole different color and can still look dull.

I'm also willing to admit that even though I sound confident in myself, that I'm not as confident as you think. I still hate walking in front of people, talking in front of a class. I'm still pretty shy and sometimes I do look at the mirror and hate what I see. But I'm not with such low self-esteem to bleach my skin.

1 comment:

  1. It is my understanding that the form that is used for vaccines is not easily absorbed by the body.
    Skin Bleaching

    ReplyDelete